Sunday, June 26, 2011

Reality Check

Today was almost a " feel sorry for me day". I was having that oh poor pitiful me moment ... when I was thinking about how unfair life seemed. No job.... ( even though I have realized that was such a God thing) .,.. no unemployment...no money... etc.. etc....

Today was my step-sons birthday. My hubby gets to see him for 4 hours on his birthday. When my hubby told me that we would only be allowed to get his son for the 4 hours visit and not his daughter ( because the papers say that" ... I guess that they do say that - but, it is a mater of interpretation - Do I think that it's fair? No ... so it was an additional moment of Poor Pitiful me...but, we made the best of it and took him to Athfest and to the gamestop and Sonic. I wished that we had lots more to spend on him but... I was trying to snap out of the poor pitiful me moment.

But, folks I had a serious REALITY check- Sometimes it's like God just picks me up and shakes me and says ..." my child what in the world are you thinking? " Then it dawns on me that life could be so much worse.
On the way home from Athfest.... I received a text message from a close friend that said "call me 911". I immediately began dialing her phone over and over and got no answer. So we continued the drive back to our little home in Hull, Ga.

As we neared the intersection of Ingles at HWY 29N... I hear my husband say " oh no honey... it looks like they are life flighting someone".... my ears began to ring and panic immediately set in as a million thoughts about  the friend who just text me ran through my head... and her children - tears welled up as I ran through a list of horrible things that could have happened in my mind.

We turned into the Ingles parking lot where a helicopter, an ambulance , firetrucks and 1/2 of Madison County sat. My husband pointed across the parking lot to where the ambulance sat and there was the mini-van of the friend who I received the text from. I felt myself trying to open the car door and get out before we even got to where she was. I got out of the car ... numb- Afraid to even ask what was going on... fear of what the answer might be.

I got out and saw a mutual friend standing there... and learned that it was her daughter who would not wake up and was " cold". The paramedics were placing a breathing tube in.My heart sank for this sweet little girl who I knew may not make it back home.


Suddenly , unemployment, job, money ... everything in my little selfish world became so unimportant. The important things in life were in plain view. I am blessed to have 4 amazing children and a husband to wake up to everyday and most of all I am honored to server a God who is still on the throne!

PS: By the way the little girl is stable and still in the ICU at Childrens health care of ATL

1 comment: